Selma is believed to be one of the many settlements along the Cibolo Creek founded by German pioneers. In 1849, the Harrison and McCulloch Stagecoach Stop was created to transport passengers and freight between the communities of central, south, and east Texas.
Following the establishment of the Stagecoach Stop, Selma opened its first post office in 1856, and as the population grew due to an influx of German and Polish immigrants, Selma added general stores, cotton gins, blacksmiths, a saloon, and a school. However, the post office was closed in 1906 and was replaced by rural delivery when the town population declined.
Located sixteen miles northeast of downtown San Antonio, the population in Selma was 100 in 1940 and since the city’s incorporation in 1964, Selma has seen tremendous growth as businesses along the Interstate 35 Austin / San Antonio corridor has developed. The city of Selma is located on the Old Austin Road, which is now Interstate 35. Selma, which covers approximately five square miles, is in three counties (Bexar, Comal, and Guadalupe) and today, has a population of more than 6,000.
Subdivisions of the City of Selma include:
Chelsea Crossing (located off of Interstate 35)
Forest Creek (located off of Interstate 35)
Live Oak Hills (located off of Wiederstein Road)
Olympia Hills (located off of Olympia Parkway behind the Forum Shopping Center)
Retama Ridge (located off of Lookout Road and Retama Parkway)
Retama Springs (located off of Lookout Road and Retama Parkway)
Retama West (located off Lookout and Retama Parkway)
Selma Parks Estates (located off of IH 35)
The Trails at Kensington Ranch
The Trails at Kensington Ranch II